This two-week programme focuses on some of the key academic knowledge needed to make a successful engineering application to a top university and then combines it with in visits to some of Oxford’s top engineering firms. Oxford is the home of two universities both with excellent engineering departments and facilities, including Oxford Brookes’ Formula 1 testing lab which students will get to visit.The programme will also spend time looking at different types of engineering, such as mechanical, civil, biomedical and aeronautical. Having access to tutors and researchers from the two universities which are at the cutting edge of the engineering world (the main F1 teams all have a Brookes graduate) makes this programme ideal for those interested in this career pathway. The programme concludes with a space design competition judged to NASA standards with experts providing analysis and advice.
The course includes:
- What is engineering?
- Mechanical engineering: forces, moments, equilibrium, simple harmonic motion, the jet engine
- Biomedical engineering: the ECG
- Civil engineering: Brunel and his bridges
- Digital electronics: logic gates, integrated circuits
- Student presentations
- Q&A on being a professional engineer
- Oxford Brookes’ F1 testing lab visit
This course fills the 2 week period, so students do not need to pick any further courses to take while at the Oxford Summer Academy.